Saturday, September 20, 2008

Neo-Japanese Cuisine at Ono


Last night, I had dinner with my uncle and cousin at Ono, a neo-Japanase restaurant located in the Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking District. My uncle is visiting New York this weekend and he was in the mood for some good Japanese and was fine spending a pretty penny to get some (needless to say, I couldn't get a table at Morimoto on such late notice). Although definitely not for the budget conscious, Ono delivered a memorable meal which I would be more than happy to have again.

The concept of the restaurant is "family-style" eating with dishes placed in the center of the table for diners to share. I personally enjoy eating this way more as you get to try a lot more dishes, and as we were taught when we were little - everyone has more fun when you share. Highlights of the meal included Spicy Crab Pizza with avocado, radish sprouts and red miso, Duck and Lychee Robata (basically pieces of duck breast and lychee skewered and grilled - the combination of the saltiness from the duck and intense sweetness from the lychee was surprisingly satisfying), and Garlic Rubbed Whole Sea bass with black beans and peppercress. However, the definite star of the meal was the Togarashi-crusted Rib Eye, a 28 oz dry aged piece of Wagyu (Kobe) beef served with a red wine teryaki sauce (seen above - yes, you can start drooling if you already haven't). 

More pictures below...

3 comments:

Mark said...

What is that second picture with the huge slabs of something behind the wine glasses!? The food looks great!

Nicolas Young said...

At first I thought they were huge chunks of tuna, but I settled for large stones of salt after staring at them for a while. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to verify my guess...

Unknown said...

that piece of steak makes my stomach tremble in terror. I usually find eating wagyu or kobe beef way too rich as a steak. Plus, I stopped by Kobe club once during restaurant week and had an extremely disappointing steak... can't remember the cut, but I definitely cook a better rib eye on a regular basis.

Kobe beef is delicious as Shabu-Shabu, however. There's a great place in Boston called Shabu Zen that I recommend.