Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Visit to Ithaca


Over the Labor Day weekend, I took a trip back to my old campus in Ithaca, New York to visit my girlfriend. While most of my college life was spent eating like a poor student (There was that one semester where my roommates and I basically alternated between Chinese food and Subway each meal), I think I was able to sample a fair amount of Ithaca's offerings in terms of food fare. With the Ithaca area reportedly having a higher restaurant per capita ratio than New York City, it isn't too much of a surprise that there are quite a few really good places.



Here is a short list of my favorite Ithaca eateries.

Maxie's Supper Club

I think the main reason I love this place so much is because of my love for barbecue and Southern food, and Maxie's allows me to enjoy both. Personal favorites are the Fried Green Tomatoes, Cajun Fries and the Pulled Pork Plate (and if you order all of that, I recommend sharing it with at least one other person). However, the best option is definitely the raw bar, which you can get half off from 4-6 PM everyday for happy hour. Fresh shucked oysters (usually 2 or 3 varieties) with some drinks are definitely the way to go when making a visit. It can get pretty busy at times so a reservation is recommended, especially if you are going in a big group (5+ people).

Wings Over Ithaca

There is nothing quite as satisfying as having a big order of Wings Over Ithaca in the middle of the night, or even better after a long workout. However, you haven't had Wings until you've eaten it in the actual restaurant. The fries, onion rings and wings are crispy and fresh as they haven't been steaming in a covered delivery package for 20 minutes or so. Aside from the standard Buffalo, Garlic Parmesan is a personal favorite, but Cajun Teryaki and Honey Mustard are quite good as well. In addition, I strongly suggest ordering bone-in wings as they are juicier and tend to have more flavor. However, if you are in a rush, your order will get to you MUCH quicker if you order boneless. Till this day, its the one thing I have to have whenever I visit Ithaca.

Kilpatrick's Publick House

My roommates and I discovered Kilpatrick's pretty late in our stay at Cornell. From the outside, this Irish pub looks like any other, but in fact it boasts a very decent menu. Also, if you can get one of the booths in the back, you get your own mini-TV (with cable!) that you can program to any channel. The burgers are quite good - juicy and HUGE, and the Irish Fries pretty much describe themselves (Beer battered fries smothered in smoked bacon, green onions and pepper jack cheese). My personal favorite is the Hen of the Woods burger, which is topped with Swiss cheese, sauteed wild mushrooms, bacon, sweet onions, lettuce, tomato and herb mayonnaise. I think what sealed the deal was the Ithaca Bakery cheese bread that they served us (for free), the first time we were there. However, the other times we've gone, we were just served normal rolls, so you may not be quite as lucky when you make your visit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice list, but here are a few other places that def could go on ur list

souvlaki house
the pines burger
lost dog's vodka rigatoni
shortstop (one of our favs, not sure if u guys went as much)
RPU brunch

Unknown said...

I've always been a fan of CTB food items especially their sandwiches and of course their fresh scones!

Love the blog, Niki! Can't wait to read more from ya!

Maria said...

I love:

Purple Sticky Rice with Mangos & Coconut Milk (from Sticky Rice place, best when you get it at farmer's market)

Brie Filled French Toast (Carriage House)

Fruit & Nut Salad (Aladdin's)

I have NEVER eaten wings over Ithaca, or Kilpatricks!

Nice Cornell pictures!